Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Artist profile: Joel Meyer-England of 845 Motocycles


Please take a moment to get to know artist Joel Meyer- England.

Photo by Keith Kelley

"Having spent much of my 20’s riding and customizing motorcycles I taught myself how to paint via the internet so that I could paint my own bikes as well as my close friend’s bikes. When I left the motion picture industry in my late 20’s I started painting more bikes for my friends. Through Instagram I had people reach out to me asking if I could paint their bikes. This snowballed into my full-time job shortly thereafter."


"While painting on my porch in Santa Monica I soon realized that I needed more space and a real paint booth so I moved my family out to the Joshua Tree area where I now have a 2.5-acre compound complete with a proper paint booth. I take much inspiration from the chopper paint of the 70’s as well as the coloring of traditional tattoo work."


"When I first moved to California back in 2004 I lived in Ventura for 4 years so it’s exciting to be a part of this show that takes places back in my old haunt. I am especially excited since David Mann has been a big inspiration to me in my work. His attention to detail in the amazing choppers he came up with and the radical paint on those bikes have been and continue to influence my work every day as I strive to come up with interesting and cool paint work."


"I am truly honored to be a part of such a special event alongside so many other truly amazing artists. I have looked up to the artwork I have seen at the event in past years and always dreamt that I might get to be a part of the art show so this is truly a dream come true."


"I started to think how I could give back to the community that has welcomed me with open arms so I reached out to event promoter, Tory DuVarney. He asked me to create a custom gas tank using a classic Dave Mann painting as the reference. Tory requested that the proceeds go directly to the Wounded Warrior Project, a charity that is near and dear to the Chopperfest family. I'll be recreating the tank (seen below) using a Throttle Addiction narrow wassell style tank painted with Painthuffer Monochromatic Purple Metalflake and House of Kolor Kandy."


"I am very excited to be able to give back to the men and women who have served in our military. You can watch the progress through my Instagram profile and tickets are currently available for purchase. $20.00 for a single ticket or $100.00 for 6. You don't need to be on location to win but your attendance is appreciated. We'll announce the winner during the award ceremony."

Photo by Keith Kelley

"I would like to thank Chopperfest for inviting me to be apart of the event, Zach from Throttle Addiction for donating the tank I am painting for the raffle and Brian from Painthuffer for supporting and sponsoring me."
-Joel


No comments:

Post a Comment